Learning Through Play
Cultivating online citizens with the values of sportsmanship
- Lesley PodestaCEO of Alannah & Madeline FoundationThe Alannah & Madeline Foundation is passionate about creating safe online environments for young people. By bringing gaming to schools through clubs, we hope that teachers can set examples of fair play and guide discussions to create positive and healthy behaviour in students.
- Carlos FigueiredoDirector of Community Trust & Safety at Two Hat SecurityRiot Games is leading the way with high school League of Legends clubs, offering students and teachers an invaluable opportunity to explore and practise online citizenship in a unique way. Dedicated to producing long-lasting results, Riot Games is shaping new online citizens who are learning how to use digital platforms with purpose and awareness.
- Stanley ChangScience Teacher at Howick College in AucklandStudents in general were eager to play the game with each other but most importantly, they were able to use the club as a platform to communicate with other students they have never spoken to. In a way, the club allowed students to develop new friendships and bonds.
- Dan RaisbeckCo-Founder of The Cybersmile FoundationThe LoL High School initiative is an incredible opportunity for schools to address many of the important issues young people are now facing in the digital age. Positive engagement, peer to peer support, teamwork, resilience, confidence, digital citizenship and developing new friendships are just some of the benefits that schools are teaching and experiencing with this exciting new opportunity.
- Kurt SquireProfessor at University of California, IrvineThe work Riot Games is doing to promote sportsmanship through schools and gaming clubs is critically important as we try to help a generation grow up online. Riot is giving teachers, parents, and students tools and frameworks to think through the challenges we all face in the digital age, and taking a leadership role in shaping how the next generation of athletics takes shape.
- Karin MillerAuthor of Global Values: A New Paradigm for a New World and Founder of OurNewEvolution.orgIn a polarised world torn apart by isolationism and the pursuit of individual short-term gain at the expense of the whole, League of Legends clubs promote holistic values of cooperation, competitive integrity and respect for others. Gaming is a powerful way to teach our youth how to work together to heal the wounds that divide us and Riot Games is leading the way.
- Steven Van Garderen Hard Materials Technology Teacher at Manurewa High SchoolAlmost every day I get a student come up to me and ask if I am the teacher that plays games… It is a way that teachers and students can bridge a really important gap that forms a new relationship.
- Anne CollierFounder, iCanHelpline.orgThe LoL Clubs initiative [is] both brilliant and logical. What I mean is, think about how tough it would be to teach swimming without a pool. High School League of Legends Clubs give schools the opportunity to facilitate digital citizenship in digital environments, the only kind of place where it could ever really be practised.